Monday, June 14, 2010

Worst culinary photography of all time








Perhaps because I suck so badly in photography, I like going to fancy restaurants just to feel better about myself somehow. I am not all that sure how feeling better about myself would do anything to my terrible photography, because my photos show no signs of improvement whatsoever no matter how fancy the restaurant I frequent.

But here are some pictures of Hotel de Mikuni, a famous Japanese/French restaurant that amazingly did not make it to the Michelin Guide of Japan this year. I really find that laughable.

There are two Hotel de Mikuni in Japan. One in Tokyo, and another in Karuizawa in Nagano prefecture, where the winder olympic was held not so long ago. Karuizawa is a ski resort in the winter, and during the summer months this is where people go to avoid the oppressing humidity and heat. Our family owns a small condominium there, and from there just around the corner is the Hotel de Mikuni that we frequent.

As long as one does not pay too much attention to the pricing, the food is just more than ecstatic. Kiyomi Mikuni, a French trained chef/owner creates a fusion of Japanese and French cuisine from the bottom up. He uses Japanese sea kelp (konbu) and dried fish flakes to make basic soup stock.

I don't want to talk too much about how the dishes are prepared; I am afraid of ruining them. Ideally, pictures that were well done would give the viewer a good idea of the subtlety of aroma and texture, but no luck here. These pictures look just awful, and the dishes are already started to look stale.

This was a four course lunch that took about 90 minutes to enjoy. The portion is just right, not too little, yet not large at all, and when you take that much time, the satisfaction you get from it is not of a full stomach sensation, but a feeling of being so well taken care of, and that of extreme privilege.


No comments:

Post a Comment