Sunday, June 20, 2010

Confession - part 2





http://www.pref.saitama.lg.jp/site/geibunsai/kenten.html


This is a confession part 2.


No, I don't have any more images on PPG.

Actually, this is more of a big deal.

Saitama is one of smaller prefectures in Japan, yet in terms of population it is the fifth largest with nearly 7 million people.

For the last 60 years, they have held what they call "prefecture exhibition," which is held annually. There are several genres of art works, including oil paintings, traditional Japanese paintings, sculptures, and photography. There were close to 5,000 entries, with photography being the most competitive.

For whatever reasons I never understood, my picture was selected for display. The rate of acceptance for non members like myself was about 5%.

This exhibition is thought to be one of the most prestigious competitions, with many of the entries by well known professional photographer. Although I didn't win the contest, just to be selected for display is a huge accomplishment, I am told.

Just about anybody in the know just cannot believe that my work got selected.

Few weeks ago, I went to Japan for a vacation, and I was able to see my own work being displayed, along with other fine photographs.

Many photographers have gone on to have fine careers after being selected for this competition, I was told.

Maybe I am not all that bad after all.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! Congratulations on the acceptance! Photography is not a science, nor a mathematical formula. It is an art. As such, art is about expressing our thoughts, vision, and emotions. And your photograph was able to express to the panel what you were saying with the picture. :-) Oh and good luck on staying away from LBA! I am trying not to buy a minty "K 135mm f2.5"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. Nice to see that we can better at this. If I can do this, anybody can!!

    ReplyDelete