Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Monitors with calibration



Monitors are a source of frustration for me. When I started shooting pictures few years ago, i didn't think much of it. I only noticed when I got into printing. I suppose I ought to talk about that sometimes.

The thing was that when I printed, it did not look as I remembered it on my monitor. In fact, it looked completely different. I knew then that I had to sink some money into displays.

There are many choices. There is a company called EIZO, and they produce outrageously expensive displays specifically built and calibrated (so they say) for digital photographers. It was too pricey for a shitty photographer like me. So I researched around, and ended up with NEC multisync P221w with x-rite calibration. More about calibration later.

Problems were solved almost instantly. With color and tone calibration, which I must repeat ever 30 days or so, my display correctly shows how it is going to appear on my Epson 3800. Now they are literally identical.

How you see my pictures on your monitor, I have no control, and I am almost certain that it does not look like the way I want it to. I know it doesn't. I have two monitors; crappy LG, along with my NEC. On my LG monitor, which I use for everything other than photography, looks nothing like the other monitor. So I try to adjust for it when I post it on the web.

I don't really like posting my pics on the web for this reasons. This is why I save my worst work for nobody to see . . . . .



Pentax K-7
DA* 50-135
1/60 @ f/2.8
-0.3 ev
ISO 400
RAW

No comments:

Post a Comment