Monday, July 26, 2010

My first sip of Guinness



When I was stupid (and young) while in college, I used to hate Guinness. Guinness in a bottle that is. I thought they tasted just awful. If someone somehow made motor oil drinkable, Guinness in a bottle would taste just like it, we used to say.

Then in 1990, I visited Ireland for the first time. I attended a writer's workshop of all things, at University College of Dublin, where James Joyce studied. I remember, after a day long lectures, we the attendees piled into this bar in Temple district for a drink (or two, or more). Naturally, I was asked if I wanted Guinness. My initial instinct was "hell no," but I was convinced that Guinness on Tap is an entirely different animal.

It certainly was. I still remember that creamy texture that rolled on my tongue, and how smooth it went down my throat. The after taste was nothing like what I expected. I just cannot describe it. Just like that I was hooked.

I have been a Guinness drinker ever since.

Ireland is a very special country for me. It just so happened that when I was in Ireland for the first time, back in 1990, it was a very difficult period of my stupid life. But I came back from that country a changed man. I came back trusting other human beings more.

It is a very special place indeed.



Pentax K-7
DA 35/2.8 macro ltd
1/160 @ f/4
0 ev
ISO 200
RAW

No comments:

Post a Comment