Saturday, July 17, 2010

Golf related photography




Chambers bay, No. 9, par 3, 227 yds


Golf photography


Here is another genre I know nothing about.

Because I play golf quite a bit, and most pictures that I have seen of golf courses are crap, I figure it is pretty easy to do awful photography. I was right.

This is very similar to travel photography in that if one went to shoot at the most exotic of golf courses, people would naturally get more excited, even if the technique and other aspects of photo is complete crap.

This picture was taken at a course called Chambers Bay near Seattle. It is a relatively new golf course, but it will host 2015 U.S open. Typically it takes years for a new course to mature enough to hold an event of this magnitude. But in recent years, golf course builders are beginning to figure out how to make the course look like they have been there for hundreds of years . . . .


This is amateur photography at its best. Look at the very top part of the picture, where it is so over exposed that you simply cannot make out any details. There are ways to avoid things like that from happening.

The funny thing was that I knew I would have this exact problem. But I just didn't care. Now this has to turn into a golf talk. If you play golf, you may (or may not, I suppose) clearly understand that the main theme of this photo is the huge bunker on the right side with chunks of islands spread across. You hit it there, and you are dead. The ocean in the background does not come in play at all, except perhaps that it may distract you from making the right club selection. It serves no purpose. Proximity to water has given a lot of golf courses reviews that they do not deserve.

This is a par 3. There is really no risk reward factor on this hole at all. The golfer is demanded that he picks a spot, and strike it solidly. If not done, the hole cannot guarantee that he will have a fair chance for recovery, which is the most unfair aspect of this diabolical hole.

Pentax k20D
DA 21mm/3.2 ltd
1/180 @ f/5.6
0 ev
ISO 100
RAW
Nope, NO HDR on this one

2 comments:

  1. I like this photo - the blow out sky and water do not bother me at all. I think you could have done a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete