Friday, July 9, 2010

I stare at it at least once a day



On a website, or on a catalogue, that is.



Last month, when I was in Japan, the new digital MF camera by Pentax called 645D came out. I had an opportunity to play with it. I didn't handle it long enough to give a thorough review of it, but I can still tell you that it was impressive enough.

I was more amazed by the pictures (A0 sizes) taken by this camera, than say the actual camera. The pictures blew me away. It literally catches EVERYTHING. You can almost tell the humidity of the air at the time of shooting. So much texture. I was hooked immediately.

The camera itself is smaller and lighter than expected. Yes it is not small, but not so big that I will need a tripod each time. Considering how big the mirror is, the shutter sound is pretty quiet, but not as quiet at K-7. AF, not that I will use it a lot, seems much improved. It is more decisive, and pentax users all over the world will be happy with this development, as this technology will sure to show in up-coming models.

Ergonomis are superb. If one is used to the button arrangement of K-7, it will take him just seconds to get going with this camera. It is almost as if you don't need the manual.

The cost of the body itself in Japan at the moment is about $8,000. I would like to get this thing when the prices are about $5,000. I am convinced that if I can take horrible pictures with this camera, I have truly mastered the art of terrible photography. Therefore, this is the holy grail. I am going for it.

As for lenses, because of the backward compatibility, nearly all of the MF lenses ever produced by Pentax are useable. I better start looking for them on ebay . . . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment