Monday, August 2, 2010

Post processing (PP)




Here is amateur photography at its best.


A little while back I was in San Diego and took this picture because the sky was breaking. It was more or less a lighting exercise. I didn't pull it off.

With photoshop, or for that matter, lightroom or aperture can touch up pictures like this to make it presentable. Tone curve comes in very handy. It allows me to control tonality at different parts of the pictures. For example, I can lighten up the shadow contrast while keeping the lighting aspect unchanged. I tried to do that, so that I can make out the detail of the boat while not minimizing the accentuation of the breakthrough lighting. It didn't work.

Purists often question how aesthetically valid to touch up pictures after shooting. I don't see anything wrong with it. But, if it bothers you, then you ought to not do it. Because of the knowledge I gain from messing around, I am retouching it less and less these days, that is for sure.

I would say this though; every time I go to the beach I am reminded of how difficult to take a picture when water comes into play.


Pentax K-7
DA 15/4 ltd
1/4000 at f/4
- 0.3 ev
ISO 200
RAW

No comments:

Post a Comment