Sunday, May 23, 2010

This is not how the fisheye lens should be used . . .







I own a fish eye lens that is very old. I am not quite sure how old it is, but probably close to 30 years.

Pentax-Takumar lenses are from the olden days of Pentax. There are still people who exclusively shoot with Takumar lens. Takumar was the name of the brother of the founder of Pentax (one of, anyway. Way too many "of's). They are so old that it is a screw mount, unlike the modern lenses.

One of the cool things about Pentax camera in general is that all of the nearly all of the old lenses that are out there are still compatible. With Nikon and Canon, you may not have that luxury. In fact, that may well be the only reason I shoot Pentax. I have a feeling that the lenses I own I will be able to use 30 years from now.

Here, this picture was shot with old Takumar 17mm fish eye. They call it a pancake lens, as it is very thin. No matter how thin and how cool this lens is, this is not how it ought to be used. My kid will not be very happy looking at this picture 10 years from now.



Pentax K-7
Pentax Takumar 17mm fish eye
1/800 at f/3.4
0 ev
ISO 800
RAW

No comments:

Post a Comment