Thursday, April 1, 2010

Auto focusing (AF)

One of the biggest complaints about Pentax DSLR for the last few years amongst avid Pentax users was the not-so-fast auto focusing (is that one word??). Naturally, neighbors' lawns are always greener, and Pentaxians (not me) vehemently complained about how slow AF was compared to other brands such as Canon and Nikon.

I realize that it depends on what kind of pictures you take, but for me anyway, AF is not such a big issue. In fact, I can totally live without it. For one thing, if not so sharp pictures are thought to be lame, then I better manual focus. I don't want my pictures ever looking tack sharp there.

I also have that stupid beep that goes off when it thinks is in the right focus. I really wish there is a way to turn that off permanently.

It just seems like I am shortcutting a step or two. It is in my mind similar to zoom lenses, or multiple frames per second kind of things. It is a function of conveniences. I think it takes a lot of fun out of taking photographs.

Here, this lame picture was taken with manual focus. The main focus was obviously on my daughter, and it is not tack sharp, and I am sure that many people would criticize that point, and they are right. This picture is not very good at all. In fact, it really stinks.



Pentax K-7
DA 40 mm ltd
1/320 @ f/5.6
0 ev
ISO 100

No comments:

Post a Comment