Wednesday, April 28, 2010

12 steps to the worst photograph ever - part 9 - Subject matter



Subject Matter should always be appropriate to the story being told in an image.

But again, how appropriate or inappropriate any aspects of photograph are, I don't think that is really the issue here. Because that comes down to who the intended audience was supposed to be. Nudity can never be appropriate to pious crowds, and why should it be??

I think it is extremely difficult to tell "a story" just in one picture. I think it can be done, and has been done before I am sure, but not by me. To me that is tooooo much to strive for.

Here I have an image of a tombstone of an infant, being lit up with moonlight. There is no story to tell here, but by casting the shadow of another infant on its face, it makes appear that there actually is a story to tell when there isn't. These are the kind of picture that are commonly used to make one feel stupid for "not getting it." Nobody really should "get" it because there is really nothing to tell. If you can some how convince a snob that this pic was taken by nobody other than Ansel Adams when he traveled to Japan, I am sure that there will be dumb ass critics out there who would be making wild interpretations of it.

How dumb.


Pentax K20D
DA 35 mm ltd macro
1/80 @ f/22
o ev
ISO 800
RAW

No comments:

Post a Comment